October 26, 2007

Wrath of the Football Gods

Twice in the past year I have angered the Football Gods with my disloyalty, and both times they have made me pay the price heavily. The most recent occurred last night, with the huge VA Tech-BC Thursday night game on ESPN. The Oceanliner had watched the entire wretched game, up until 5 minutes left when Matt Ryan threw what I thought to be the game ending interception. I was tired and annoyed that such promising game had been so boring, so I shut off the TV and went to bed. Ohhhh no said the Fotball Gods, why abandon a game with 5 minutes left when you've sat through the whole thing? Especially one that's only a 10-point game involving two of the top 8 teams in the country. So of course when I turn on Sportscenter the next morning, I see the highlights of Matt Ryan throwing 2 touchdowns in the last 3 minutes, sandwiched around a crazy onside kick. My jaw hit the ground. I looked up to the heavens and could only blame myself. The Football Gods were just doing their job. I can't be too mad either, as this Tech loss really helps UVA into having a backdoor shot at the ACC Championship in Jacksonville.

The other time I angered the Football Gods with my writing a game off was much more egregious. It was the Fiesta Bowl this January involving Boise State and Oklahoma. When the Broncos ran in a pick-6 with 8:05 left in the third quarter to take a 28-10 lead, The Oceanliner mentally declared, “This game is over, I’m outta here”. Well, we all know what happened next. I only, you know, missed the greatest college football game of all time because I was a pansy and didn’t finish watching a BCS game. Oh well. I have renewed vengeance now to stick with game, lest the Football Gods will strike me down again.

Sorry for the delay in the Oceanliner this week. I have a post coming soon about how much of douche bags Red Sox Nation is, but I am working out technical difficulties on getting the appropriate picture involved. Until then, stay tuned.

No comments: