September 04, 2007

The Tragedy in Laramie

Sometimes in sports, the final statistics are not telling of how the game really played out. Some competitive games turn into blowouts in the last couple of minutes. There are times where one team dominates another statistically but does not capitalize on scoring opportunities and loses. There are other occasions where the final numbers exactly reflect one team’s dominance of another. Unfortunately, this was the case with Saturday’s college football game between Wyoming and my alma mater, the University of Virginia. Final score, Wyoming 23 Virginia 3. This was the score that stunned my hazy eyes very late Saturday night. The game was not on TV at my girlfriend’s apartment during our Labor Day Weekend cookout and after that we went to the Nats game and out to Georgetown. When I finally started pouring through the box score, it told me everything I needed to know. I felt like I had watched the game, although I’m very glad I didn’t. The numbers spoke to a complete embarrassment at the hands of a Mountain West team that went 6-6 last year. So as painful as it is, let’s go through some stats that perfectly depict the Tragedy in Laramie for what it really was.

First Downs: WYO 27 UVA 5

This is just ridiculous. Completely mind-boggling. I don’t know if I’ve ever noticed a bigger disparity between first downs made between two D1-A teams. A complete jaw dropper.

Total Yards: WYO 471 UVA 110

I’m at a loss for words. This shows the ineptitude on both offense and defense. Completely pathetic. This was a top 30 defense in the country last year too.

3rd Down Efficiency: WYO 10-20 UVA 3-13

It is almost impossible to win a football game when you allow the opponent to convert on over half of their third down tries and you come in at a stellar 23%

Offensive Plays Run: WYO 89 UVA 47

I’m speechless.

Time of Possession: WYO 40:19 UVA 19:41

There’s nothing left to say. The best analysis in the world cannot describe this loss better than these final numbers. Not even Mike Patrick’s.

Here’s a quick tidbit! Wyoming hadn’t allowed less than 130 yards of total offense in a game since 1978! And that was to national power South Dakota.

I am heading down to Charlottesville this weekend for the home opener against Duke. I am 100% confident that we will win, but the sour taste of Wyoming makes it just a little bitter. But it will still be a beautiful fall day of football, and you can’t beat that. In other news, there might be a Ribary Courts update soon, so stay tuned. Until then, over and out.

No comments: