August 02, 2007

ESPN is definitely not Now

I never thought I would say this, but I feel like ESPN is starting to lose me. And it’s only one segment of one show that’s responsible for it. I can’t think of a more pointless and excruciating waste of time than the Who’s Now feature that SportsCenter has been running for the past month. The reason I watch SportsCenter is to watch highlights. If I wanted to watch a celebrity popularity contest, I would flip it over to Entertainment Tonight. I realize that in the dog days of summer there isn’t that much going on in sports. The NBA and NFL are deep into their off seasons and baseball hasn’t heated up yet. But instead of creating a moronic segment on Who’s Now, why don’t they just show more highlights? That’s what SportsCenter was created on, so how bout stickin with your bread and butter? People are never going to get tired of watching original highlights. All the material they need is already there, they don’t need to create it. I would absolutely rather watch extended Royals-Devil Rays highlights than Stu Scott’s white ass asking Adam Sandler, Kevin James and Jessica Biel if Serena Williams is more “Now” than Steve Nash. I wish I were making that last part up. It is only fitting that Stu Scott is hosting Who’s Now, though. Talk about a guy who pretends to be hard and black but is actually the complete opposite. Scott actually was a good SportsCenter anchor back in the late 90’s and early 00’s, especially when teamed with Rich Eisen. But now he’s just plain annoying, especially with his roles on Dream Job and Who’s Now. And as for him being thuggish, I’ll let a modification of a great Dave Chappelle line handle that: “White people like Stuart Scott because he makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcolm X”. Booyah.

No comments: